January 15, 2009

sweet surprise vs agony

Still feeling under the weather, I dragged myself out of bed and got ready to present myself to the battlefield at work. Frankly I dread to see the black faces of my colleagues and their non-stop nagging of what a terrible day they had while I was enjoying my medical leave. Just how transparent can they be? Can't they perhaps show some concern? Ma'am grumbled that she was in the office till 10.45pm. Though I felt sorry initially, the meanness in me took over. I was laughing at them. I know that was evil but it became so natural to be thankful I wasn't at work that day and was spared from the unforgiving long queues. Came home during lunch break and received a delivery. From my man who never fails to brighten my gloomy days with sweet surprises. Thank you, love.







The people I'm working with, do not seem to have any sense of urgency. They not only really give time to the customers, (which means they take longer time to finish a transaction) they also do not spare any opportunity. (which means they are armed with hard selling) Personally, I do not to adapt well to such traits. Perhaps not yet. I do not like queues. I find customers in line disturbing. I usually process whatever heck they want and find pleasure in making small talks only when I'm freaking free or it's necessary to do so. Let me share two instances which were tests of my limited patience.

Long queue and it's a lady in her late 50s's turn.
Auntie went "Aiyo your hair very nice . Where you perm?"

"Thank you ma'am, these are my natural curls" smiles.. "what can i do for u ? "

"Where you buy?" she questioned.

"Huh? it's real hair,ma'am." Fake smiles at the lady with my mind going..HELLO get over it already... can you see the bloody queue behind you??!

"I never see people perm hair the curls so nice like this lei.. "

Now she is getting me irritated. " Err..I suppose that is the main difference between au naturel and salon permed?"

"Yes, so how much you pay for perming your hair?"

I started to pull my tresses.." FOC since mother's womb." Fake another smile nervously and asked loudly " So ma'am, anything else? You can try asking the salon for perming rates! NEXT pls.."

Often I wonder if my Mandarin fails me cos sometimes, I get "Oh you know how to speak Mandarin?" after maintaining a conversation in Mandarin. Commonly, I get "thank you. eh you know how to speak Mandarin meh? so clever.." I thought to myself, just what language was I trying my utmost to communicate with them?? .. NEXT NEXT...Grr do I have to master the art of taking things slow and engaging in small talks?

No comments: