March 5, 2011

At your service

In my ten years with Singapore Post, most of the compliments I received were from customers who left Singapore or foreigners. Some months back, I got one which complimented my service standard. He shared that he was impressed with the constant excellent services rendered by me. It reminds him of the friendly service received in Vancouver, Canada as something so natural but unfortunately so uncommon in Singapore. I thought that I was just enjoying my work and it wasn't anything out of ordinary to be friendly in the frontline. This morning, I felt touched by a compliment received in the office email. Again, such recognitions came unexpected. I thank God for HIS kind blessings. It was a pleasant surprise which made my day. This comes in time before my appraisal this month.

Here are the details: "Good day. I went to your Bedok Central Post Office this morning to send a parcel to my daughter in NZ. At counter 7, I was greeted by a Malay young lady- I forgot to read her name tag. She arranged the necessary parcel box and papers for me to complete and while filling the papers. I heard her talking Mandarin with another Chinese customer, I was born and bred in Penang and left Malaysia to become a New Zealander since 1988. Now, my wife and I are visiting our son and his Singaporean wife who gave birth to a daughter on the Singapore National Day last year. Wow! Our NZ Post services are next to none, but you have this Malay colleague, she was courteous and up to speed, a very rare effective Malay personnel if you want to find in Malaysia. Big praise to your government's system in bringing up the true breed of Singaporean on equal footing and thus, she is your asset that you can be really proud of. Continue your good work! Singapore Post. Maju-lah Singapura!"

Customer service isn't the best job but it isn't the worst either. However, working for a company which does almost everything, customers have a higher expectation from me. For example, I get silent customers too. I'd to guess if they do not speak English, mute/ deaf, mesmerized by me or they are at the counter for a mind-reading session?! I realize customers treat us like stars on the stage. They watch us while they wait in the queue. When they recognize me out of the office, they'd smile and sometimes share quick conversations. That explains why even when I am holidaying, people get excited when they see me. Stories about where they saw me would continue at the counter. I love meeting people and I think being with HR department should work well for me too. I suppose despite having hopes to leave this comfort zone, I'd always give my best in my job.

Here is a food for thought. Does it take so much time to write in to praise someone? Does it hurt to smile at a tired and grumpy customer service officer to wish her/him a better day ahead? When it comes to complaints, I was one who'd write in or email soonest possible. I was also one who will fight for my right. For someone who has a strong customer service orientation and a keen observer by occupational hazard, let's see how long I can turn a blind eye to poor service standards .Till I have an unacceptable customer service experience, I shouldn't have anything to complain about.

No comments: