August 17, 2011

At your service?

I had to attend a compulsory managerial workshop at the Singapore Retailers Association this morning. I was nominated for the STAR award in EXSA. Over the eleven years in the service line, I have received a number of similar recognitions. I thought to myself if the service standards in Singapore have dropped as that seems to reason why I am eligible for the Star award this time around. In fact, I am ashamed since my expectations of one who deserves such a recognition is higher. Although I try to be a pleasant front-liner, there were times I lost my patience with my customers and wasn't as helpful as I could have been. Disappointed having served years of demanding yet unappreciative public, I even reminded myself to get a job which does not involve customer service!?

I have the intentions to leave this job for the longest time already. I was getting paranoid if I would lose my sanity, you see. My stressful job-scope doesn't involve only customer service, it also involves financial services and sales. The targets alone can drive me crazy. I am always trying to cope but I really do not know for how much longer can I put up with my personal struggles. Recently, I didn't realize a man was watching me speak Indonesian Malay to a happy old Indonesian lady who thought she was lucky to be served by me. He was even more impressed as he observed me speak Mandarin to the next customer, a Chinese national. He came to my counter and told me I'd definitely get a better offer elsewhere. Other customers in the line were kind with praises too. Honestly, I know that I love meeting people. I enjoy challenges. I could adapt and welcome reasonable changes.

Whenever I attend a course, I often wish I'd be a facilitator someday. Mdm Susan is the facilitator for the half-day workshop. She shared she did quit her job as a manager for a back-end job. That switch lasted barely three months. Presently, she is also teaching English. "When we are a people-person, we would not be able to adapt to only paper work. Can die, you know?" I wondered that very moment if it would be the same for myself. After I heard her sharing about her work experiences, I began to have mixed feelings about doing a career switch. However, I am thankful that at the end of the session, I am more certain about my career goals. I hope that I could do something even more enjoyable and fulfilling in time to come. May God bless me with opportunities and guide me well to a better future.

Just a note to share: " If you want to compliment, write in. If there is a need to complain, do it verbally. "

No comments: