August 10, 2011

My first drug allergy

Yesterday, I spent the National Day holiday at home practically only sleeping. I felt feverish when I woke up for sahur before dawn. When it was time to break fast, I was looking forward to down the pill for fever. I had my fill and about two hours later, I was beginning to feel that the fever has subsided. That probably shows how effective the medication was, I thought to myself. Looks like I can go back to work and fight 12-hour shift battle at work tomorrow. 

Shortly after, my eyes began to itch. I looked into the mirror and they weren't red. I refrained myself from rubbing the eyes since I learnt that my left eye has been a really sensitive case nowadays. I used the Optex eye wash. I noticed my left eye began to swell. After a while, even the right one swelled too! I was getting paranoid and anxious, so much so that I began to contemplate if I should visit the 24-hour clinic in the vicinity or perhaps the hospital! Somehow, I decided to sleep and pray that my eyes will be better the next morning.

Alas. I was wrong. The swelling persisted. I woke up with a bad throat from sudden coughing. Even my left ear hurt when I cough. I had flu too. I knew I had to see a doctor and give work a miss. I am already expecting a warning letter cos of being absent from work after a public holiday! Ridiculous or not, I am still a staff and there's consequences I have to bear despite feeling bad for not being at work for a valid reason. Wait till I get the letter, perhaps I'd just post it here.

I made my way to see Doc Cute, the company doctor. The clinic was crowded and seeing the long queue of patients, it got me a lil cranky. I entertained myself with posts on FB and Twitter about the wait. My coughing turned my stomach into a roller coaster ride causing me to feel giddy and nauseous at the same time. My name was called by Doc Cute himself. I showed him a picture of my initial swollen eyes I took. I explained I felt feverish so I took the pills he prescribed to me in my previous visit. He frowned and said I am suffering from a drug allergy cos of self-medicate! I thought that was strange cos nothing happened to me when I took them back then. "You were lucky."

He took my blood pressure. My swelling, flu and cough was due to the allergy. I had ear and throat infections too. He told me to give him some time to think thru the medicines to prescribe. He also gave me a injection on my arm to ease the allergies. I took a deep breath and watched the needle poked into my skin. It didn't hurt. I should take common paracetamol such as Panadol should I feel feverish in future. Lesson learnt! I will consult a doctor before talking any prescriptions even if I took them before. Clofenac Sr, my first drug allergy. I call the rest of the medicine I had to take, SLEEPY-FOOD. I could barely stay awake!


Left the clinic with an injection on my arm, a bag full of medicines and 2-days MC! 

No comments: