May 17, 2011

Passing

I was up early, slightly after 5! I had a bad dream. Somehow in it, I saw my family crying. I got annoyed with myself for not able to get back to sleep on this Vesak Day. There was a call at home. I heard Mama's wailing shortly after. I rushed out of my bedroom and found out that a maternal extended family member has passed away. Mama has intended to visit him today. We received news that the late relative was critical last night. He returns to God at 2am with his big family by his side. He turned 88 a few days ago. I am thankful I get to attend his funeral cos of the public holiday.


Putting on the tudung took longer time than putting on my make up. This is probably the second time I attended a Muslim funeral. I watched the increasing number of people coming into his home. There were many more waiting downstairs at the void deck. Families and friends offered condolences to his immediate family members. I thought I would be able to refrain from crying. I was affected watching his family kissing his forehead to bid their goodbyes. One of his son had his lower leg amputated recently. He had to return to the hospital after the burial. He was sobbing a lot on the wheelchair as he watch his dad for the last time. There weren't any goodbye kisses between them.


I remember this elderly as a jovial 'uncle'. He was a fantastic cook. He was a doting grandfather. He promised me that if he could, he'd cook for my wedding too when he did so for my cousin's. The last I saw him was Hari Raya. He held my hand and wished me happiness and may I find the love of my life soon. We said prayers for him before his body was to put to rest. May God forgive his sins, bless his soul and grant him a place in paradise. I suppose we can see if a person was well-loved in his lifetime by looking at the day he passed on. There were many good words about him. He will be deeply missed by all who knew the good in him. 

No comments: