April 4, 2011

Taking charge

I read this article in yahoo news today. Out of the ten signs, I can relate to seven! In my earlier post, I mentioned about covering my manager's duties for this week. Just today alone, I can easily see the difference. It wasn't something new for me but I do wish that colleagues can at least appear to be supportive. At 8.25am, the HR department called to ask if I'd let go one staff to assist other branch. There wasn't anyone else in the office even when we'll be opened in five minutes. My colleagues came rushing in, together as if they'd a breakfast session earlier and I didn't have time to brief them. I printed out the emails. I wanted to get them to read but there was a long queue. At the end of the day, I passed the printed materials to a colleague and instructed her to read and get the rest to do the same before they leave.

"I will do that tomorrow. It is not as if I'll remember anything if I read now" was her reply. If I had my way, I'd told them off. I'd expect them to be in by 8.15am ready for my briefing! When I tell them something, make sure they digest and not look clueless! However, that wasn't the case. At the very moment, I knew there was no point forcing them. Everyone just want to get out of the office. I feel for them. They'd a busy day. Though I was disappointed in how things turned out in the morning, I was contented being in the room after lunch. Buried myself with paperwork while listening to my favorite songs. I'd happier vibes. I kept myself busy and it was time to knock off work without me realizing. As I was closing the office, I thought about my expectations for my career. Being in charge is good. To me, it means more responsibilities. I like the challenge. It gives me the sense of satisfaction to work hard as a team and get results. In the current situation, I'd think it's an opportunity. I used to feel unappreciated. I realize I'd learn to be better and happier! 

Next week, I'll see my new manager. It is like a new beginning. No matter how good or bad I was in my comfort zone, I have to change. Everyone's an unique working style. My colleagues do respect me as the assistant manager. Perhaps being the youngest in the office, customers usually expected someone in charge to be older. There are a few times customers thought I'm new in the job and only got this title cos of education qualifications. I usually have the last laugh. I'm still hopeful to get a new job. There were some offers but not what I want. At least , I do know what I want to do. It'd be my career. For now, I'd do my best. Work hard and overcome my weakness. Get out of the comfort zone doesn't seem impossible with the right attitude. I truly believe God has bigger plans for me. I'd not wait for miracles. I will not stop sending resumes to apply for positions I'm keen in.

Little miss Whoops took away my Monday blues when she kissed me. I hope that if you'd a bad day, the picture puts a smile on your face. If it doesn't, you'd look in the mirror and "cry" like her. It'd make you laugh at yourself instead. Try it..

No comments: